The government recently calculated the cost of raising a
birth to 18 and came up with $160,140 for a middle income
Talk about sticker shock! That doesn't even touch college
But $160,140 isn't so bad if you break it down. It
* $8,896.66 a year,
* $741.38 a month, or
* $171.08 a week.
* That's a mere $24.24 a day!
* Just over a dollar an hour.
Still, you might think the best financial advice is don't
children if you want to be "rich." Actually, it is just the
What do you get for your $160,140?
* Naming rights. First, middle, and last!
* Glimpses of God every day.
* Giggles under the covers every night.
* More love than your heart can hold.
* Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs.
* Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies.
* A hand to hold, usually covered with jelly or chocolate.
* A partner for blowing bubbles, flying kites
* Someone to laugh yourself silly with, no matter what the
said or how your stocks performed that day.
For $160,140, you never have to grow up. You get to:
* carve pumpkins,
* play hide-and-seek,
* catch lightning bugs, and
* never stop believing in Santa Claus.
You have an excuse to:
* keep reading the Adventures of Piglet and Pooh,
* watching Saturday morning cartoons,
* going to Disney movies, and
* wishing on stars.
* You get to frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under
magnets and collect spray painted noodle wreaths for
hand prints set in clay for Mother's Day, and cards with
letters for Father's Day.
For $160,140, there is no greater bang for your buck. You
get to be
a hero just for:
* retrieving a Frisbee off the garage roof,
* taking the training wheels off a bike,
* removing a splinter,
* filling a wading pool,
* coaxing a wad of gum out of
bangs, and coaching a baseball team
that never wins but always gets treated to ice cream
You get a front row seat to history to witness the:
* first step,
* first word,
* first bra,
* first date, and
* first time behind the wheel.
You get to be immortal. You get another branch added to your
and if you're lucky, a long list of limbs in your obituary
called grandchildren and great grandchildren. You get an
education in psychology,
nursing, criminal justice,
communications, and human
sexuality that no college can match. In the eyes of a child,
rank right up there under God.
You have all the power to heal a boo-boo,
scare away the monsters under the bed, patch a broken heart,
police a slumber
party, ground them forever, and love them without limits, So,
day they will like you, love without counting the cost.
That is quite a deal for the price!!!!!!!
Love & enjoy your children &
Click to return to Grandparent Articles
return to Grandparents Page
Click to return
to Home Page